Carolina Internal Medicine is one of Asheville’s most respected practices. CIMA is known in particular for our use of ground-breaking technology to enhance patient services. Founded in 1970, by Dr. Richard Steele, who originally opened the practice on Biltmore Avenue, Carolina Internal Medicine has grown to include nine Physician Providers and five Non-Physician Providers.
In 2012, we were pleased to open our doors in one of Asheville’s most historically significant buildings, the Biltmore School, at Four Vanderbilt Park near Biltmore Village. Built in 1927, the grand, three-story brick structure was completely renovated and repurposed into office space that unites a contemporary feel with historic preservation. Its gracious presence atop a sloping green makes the ideal home for a practice like ours, which is devoted to making our patients feel welcome and comfortable.
CIMA has hosted over 350 medical groups from as far away as Switzerland to observe how the electronic medical record has been implemented in daily practice.
In 1997, Carolina Internal Medicie Associates PA was the first clinical practice in the country to use wireless mobile computing in a physician’s office.
CIMA was named by ADVANCE for Health Information Executives as one of the top 25 “Most influential Organizations in Healthcare Information Technology.”
Over time, we have intentionally invested in leading technology to serve our patients – who are at the heart of our work – more effectively. In the process we have achieved a degree of renown among our professional peers, and strong relationships with our patients based on confidence and mutual respect.